CRS Student Ambassador Training
Each Fall, CRS University offers training opportunities for students and accompanying staff to equip them to start, deepen and grow their CRS Student Ambassador chapter on campus. A core group of students plus a staff advisor from each university are invited to attend. We welcome universities who have been partnering with us for many years as well as new universities who are interested in building a relationship with CRS on campus. View the "Events" section of the website for more detailed logistical information for each training including time, exact location, and staff contact information. Register now!
As you envision and plan your fall semester, join us for an opportunity to:
- Learn about the CRS mission and our work around the world, including our new CRS Vision 2030 strategy.
- Build leadership skills to more effectively bring to life your passion for the global common good on your campus.
- Receive updates on our campaign issues, action opportunities, and resources for 2019-2020: I am Global Hunger and I am Migration.
- Meet and network with other student leaders and campus staff from your region and participate in a growing movement of 1000+ leaders across 110+ campuses nationally.
Things to know:
- Cost: There is no training fee. Participants should arrange their own transportation. Support with finding and financing overnight lodging is available in some cases.
- Timing and location: Most trainings will be hosted on a local university campus from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. on a Saturday or Sunday. In these cases, coffee, snacks, and lunch will be included. See "Events" section of the website for full details on the training you plan to attend.
- Wondering if this is for you? In short, ALL ARE WELCOME!
- New campus partners: If your campus has never had CRS Student Ambassadors or a relationship with CRS, this is the perfect opportunity to learn more. We recommend 3-5 students + a staff person attend to get the ball rolling.
- Current campus partners: If you're already connected to the CRS network, great! We invite you to send new student leaders to grow in their understanding of CRS and veteran CRS Student Ambassadors to help co-facilitate training sessions. You can note your role on the registration form. We still encourage a staff person to attend for continuity and to receive updates and new information.
- There is no minimum or maximum number of participants per campus. Generally, we find that a small group of leaders, including both students and staff, is most effective, but we also want you to approach this in a way that works best for your campus reality.
- Questions? Email Danielle.email@example.com.
Fall 2019 Schedule Details
Thursday, September 12 | Atlanta, GA: Lyke House; The Catholic Center at AUC (6:30-8:00 p.m.)
Sunday, September 15 | South Bend, IN: University of Notre Dame (1:00 - 5:00 p.m.)
Saturday, September 21 | New Orleans, LA: Xavier University of Louisiana (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Saturday, September 21 | Omaha, NE: Creighton University (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Saturday, September 28 | Philadelphia, PA: Saint Joseph's University (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Saturday, October 5 | Chicago, IL: Dominican University (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Saturday, October 5 | Los Angeles, CA: Mount Saint Mary's University (10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
Saturday, October 12 | Seattle, WA: Seattle University (Time TBD)
Saturday, October 19 | New York, NY: Fordham University (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Saturday, October 19 | Stanford, CA: Stanford University (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Saturday, October 26 | San Antonio, TX: Saint Mary's University (12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
Saturday, October 26 | Washington, DC: Catholic University of America (9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
Saturday, November 2 | Cleveland, OH: John Carroll University (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Saturday, November 2 | Saint Paul, MN: University of Saint Thomas (9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Saturday, November 2 | Springfield, MO: Missouri State University (10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
CRS Student Ambassador DIY Training
This easy-to-use resource allows you to flexibly train yourselves or others on campus anytime of year. You can pick and choose from among several options in core sections and follow the step-by-step guide to jump-start or maintain your partnership with the CRS Student Ambassador Program on your campus. When you submit your action plan, we will consider you a CRS Student Ambassador partner! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
National CRS SALT Summit
SAVE THE DATE: CRS SALT Summit 2020: July 19-22, 2020
REVIEW: CRS SALT Summit 2018
At CRS SALT Summit 2018, CRS Student Ambassadors and Advisors had the opportunity to meet others in the national network, connect with CRS staff and experts, build leadership and campus organizing skills, and better understand the global work of CRS and our potential for impact as college students and staff, including advocacy training and preparation as well as advocacy meetings on Capitol Hill with the offices of participants' Senators and Representatives.
Thank you for helping to make the CRS SALT Summit 2018 a success! Below are a few ways to learn, read, see and hear what happened during our time together.
- Catholic News Service article
- Mount Saint Mary College news article
- Caldwell University news article
- Manhattan College news article
- Blog by CRS SALT Summit Participant Astrid Serrano: Why We Must Show Empathy Toward the Other
- Facebook Live from Capitol Hill
- Search #SALTSummit on social media for more photos and to see what the experience was all about.
REVIEW: CRS SALT Summit 2016
Thank you for helping to make the CRS SALT Summit 2016 a success! Below are a few ways to learn, read, see and hear what happened during our time together.
- BLOG: "CRS SALT Summit 2016: Together we Make Tomorrow a Better Place" by Casey Semenza of Cabrini University
- BLOG: "CRS SALT Summit 2016: Inspired to be Light in the World" by Rita Marino of Villanova University
- Catholic News Service Article in the Boston Pilot
- Catholic News Service Video:
The first ever National Conference was held at CRS Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland in August 2014 and welcomed representatives from 30 colleges and universities. Read a summary here.
CRS Student Ambassador On-Campus Trainings
Other forms of on-campus trainings are offered on an as-needed basis by CRS staff. Please contact email@example.com to inquire if you are interested in having a CRS staff person come to campus to train a group of students and staff as CRS Student Ambassadors and Advisors. In particular, if you have participated in the DIY training above, we would love to come to campus for an abbreviated "training" session to follow up with skill-building and action planning for your particular campus context.