November Meeting Guide: YouthBuild
This month we’re excited to share the new CRS Student Ambassador video with you, and to start to prepare for in-district advocacy visits this spring. You’ll also find information about the CRS YouthBuild program that tackles some of the root causes of migration to support young adults’ ability to stay and thrive in their home communities. We continue to be inspired by the great work you are doing on campus. We’ll be following up with you soon for your end of semester report. Keep an eye out for more information.
Key Theme: YouthBuild
- Welcome any new ambassadors & do introductions
- Suggested Icebreaker Question of the Month: Share a treasured childhood memory that will help others learn something about you.
Catholic Social Teaching: Solidarity
- Watch: CST 101: Solidarity
- Watch: Catholic Teaching on Care for Refugees
- “[Solidarity] is not a feeling of vague compassion or shallow distress at the misfortunes of so many people, both near and far. On the contrary, it is a firm and persevering determination to commit oneself to the common good; that is to say to the good of all and of each individual, because we are all really responsible for all.” —St. John Paul II, On Social Concern (Sollicitudo rei Socialis), no. 38
- What are some of the ways you feel called to stand in solidarity as described above? How does this go beyond feeling empathy?
CRS on the Ground: YouthBuild
- Review: Program Overview
- Watch: Nelly's Story
- Read: YouthBuild raises Job and Life Skills
- Watch: Support Youth in El Salvador
- Read: At-Risk Youth Flourish in Guatemala
- Read: Central American Migration: Push Factors, Church Teaching & How You Can Help
Address the root causes of Migration by signing the I am Migration Advocacy Alert
- Review the 2018-2019 Calendar for inspiration for your next event!
Have you ever considered completing an in-district advocacy visit with your representation in Congress? We are coordinating a time for all our CRS Student Ambassadors to complete this crucial form of advocacy this spring. Check out this website to learn more. Although these are months away, you will want to start planning now.
- Are there any Town Halls happening in your area? Check out this guide to asking questions about migration and global hunger.
- What events/programs are upcoming? Do you have the resources you need?
Closing & Next Steps
- What are the action items that need to be completed before your next event or meeting? Have they been clearly identified and assigned?
- Don't forget to check back next month for a new guide!