November 2021 University Action Guide
This month, we honor the faithful departed in a special way and we break bread together with gratitude for the blessings in our lives. Let us join in solidarity with our global family this month by focusing on leading the way on hunger with our fall community giving events inviting others to contribute to the overall mission and work of CRS. Keep an eye out on Instagram at @CRSUniversity, and tag us in what you're doing!
November 2021: Lead The Way On Hunger
- Welcome any new CRS chapter members and invite them to share about what inspired them to be here and what they are most excited for.
- Icebreaker for all: For what are you grateful for during this week, this season and this year?
Reflection – World Day of the Poor 2021
Reflect on the following quote by Pope Francis in his message celebrating World Day of the Poor 2021 (November 14): “Serving the poor effectively moves us into action and makes it possible to find the most suitable ways of raising and promoting this part of humanity that all too often is anonymous and voiceless, but which has imprinted on it the face of the Saviour who asks for our help.”
- How do you see the face of Christ reflected in our sisters and brothers around the world who face poverty?
CRS Programming, Stories and Resources
- Read: Emergency Food Saves Lives: Birhan’s Story (en español)
- Watch: Lead the Way on Hunger (en español)
- Pray: Online Prayer Retreat for Hunger (en español)
- Study: Global Hunger Academic Resources Discussion Guide
This Month's Actions
- Chapter Leaders: Remember to join your Monthly Leader Call!
- Map out your chapter’s year with the 2021-2022 Chapters & Clubs Action Planning Tool.
- Visit the Upcoming Events page to see virtual events universities are holding. Notify your CRS Regional Representative if your campus is hosting a CRS-focused virtual event.
National Chapter Call:
All chapter leaders, members and advisors are invited to participate live in this month’s National Chapter Call on November 13 at 1 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. CST / 10 a.m. PST
- If you do not receive the Zoom information on November 5 and would like to join, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are unable to join live, the recording of the call will be sent via email to chapter leaders and advisors soon after the call concludes.
- After watching the call (live or the recording), don’t forget to complete this month’s skill-building action sheet action.
- November Skill-building Action Sheet (en español)
- email your senators to urge them to speak with Senators Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Richard Shelby (R-AL), the Chair and Ranking Member of the full Senate Appropriations committee and Senate Leaders, Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on international humanitarian and development funding in Fiscal Year 2022.
- Watch this How to Write to Congress video for additional support with the November Action Sheet.
- Plan a fall community giving event to support the overall mission and work of CRS.
- Congressional Liaisons: Consider organizing visits with your members of Congress in early December. All resources for these December visits can be found in this December 2021 Congressional Visits Knowledge Article in the CRS Chapter Community. Reach out to your Volunteer Manager for questions about the CRS Chapter Community.
- Register now: November 13 Policy Q&A Session.
- Register now: November 17 CRS Rice Bowl 2022 Workshop.
Reminders and Next Steps
- Save the Date: We can’t wait to host you in Baltimore next summer – mark your calendars now to join us for SALT 2022 from July 24-27, 2022! Stay tuned for more information.
- Check back next month for a new Monthly Action Guide!
- Ensure your CRS University Chapter is on our CRS email list by having everyone sign up here.
- Ensure your CRS University Chapter is receiving our text message updates by texting “University” to 677-68.