DECEMBER 2020 UNIVERSITY ACTION GUIDE
As this fall semester and year come to an end, we can’t deny it has been difficult. Your dedication to active participation in the CRS community is greatly appreciated and so inspiring. In this season of celebration and relaxation, may you experience peace for what has been, joy in the present moment and hope for what is to come.
Don't forget to keep an eye out on Instagram at @CRSUniversity, and tag us in what you're doing, too!
December 2020: Lead The Way On Migration
- Welcome any new CRS chapter members and ask what has inspired them to join the CRS chapter.
- Icebreaker for all: What has been your favorite moment throughout the year with your CRS chapter? What are you looking forward to in the new year?
REFLECTION – HOLY FAMILY, REFUGEE FAMILY
Watch Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle’s message embedded in the Holy Family, Refugee Family Digital Retreat and reflect on the following questions:
- In the nativity story, God shows us that part of what solidarity means includes being willing to make room for the suffering and joys of others, and to make those joys and sufferings our own. How do you do this in your life? How could you do this better?
- What does the image of the Holy Family as a family forced to flee their home for safety, like many families who are refugees today, bring up for you this Advent? How might this image challenge or broaden your image of God and the Holy Family?
CRS PROGRAMMING AND STORIES
- Watch: Annet’s story (en español)
- Read: Central America Migration Crisis: Facts and How to Help
- Watch: 17 Years Is Too Many to Lose
THIS MONTH’S ACTIONS
- Complete your Fall Report by December 11th to help tell your campus’ story of action leading the way to a more just world! Remember, just one submission per campus is needed.
National Chapter Call
All chapter leaders, members and advisors are invited to participate live in this month’s National Chapter Call on December 12th at 1pm EST. Those who participated in our Fall 2020 Launch/Training will receive the Zoom information to log on via email on December 4th.
- If you do not receive the Zoom information and would like to join, please email email@example.com.
- If you or your chapter is unable to watch live, the recording of the call will be sent via email to chapter leaders and advisors via email soon after the call concludes.
- After watching the call (live or the recording), don’t forget to complete this month’s skill-building action sheet action with your chapter.
- December Skill-building Action Sheet (en español)
- The skill-building action sheet is one tool for you to develop your advocacy skills and keep in consistent communication with your members of Congress. We invite you to do the action sheet action each month. As you continue to develop your skills, this tool then allows you to expand your reach and invite others to complete the action too!
- December’s Skill-building Action Sheet action: Our Action Sheet action this month will be to write a letter to the editor expressing gratitude that Congress included the Global Child Thrive Act amendment into the final version of the Fiscal Year 2021 NDAA and sharing the good news with the newspaper’s audience because of the impact the amendment will have on children around the world.
- Important note: These Skill-building Action Sheets were designed for action following the National Call. We will share if there are any adjustments needed given movement on the Global Child Thrive Act during the call.
- Looking for additional training on writing a letter to the editor? Check out these recorded trainings: February 2020 (36:28-53:40) or October 2019 (38:13-57:35).
- Did you know you can set your AmazonSmile account to give back to CRS? Help CRS receive 0.5% of the amount of your purchases on Amazon by updating your account, and then, encourage others to do the same!
PLANNING FOR NEXT MONTH'S LEADERSHIP, ADVOCACY AND/OR GIVING ACTION(S):
- Continue mapping out the year with the 2020-2021 University Chapter Planning Calendar.
- Utilize the DIY Training: Looking for a fresh start in the Spring semester? Did your campus miss the Fall Training opportunities this year? Did a small group attend but you're looking to share what you learned with others on campus? This easy-to-use and "choose your own adventure" resource allows you to flexibly train yourselves or others on campus any time of year. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- CRS Rice Bowl 2021 is a great way to be intentional about prayer, fasting and almsgiving during the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday (February 17th).
- Pray, fast, and give this Lent with our CRS Rice Bowl university resources, including a "Simple Supper for Global Hunger" guide, which combines CRS Rice Bowl Simple Meals with engaging videos from our global community for reflection.
- Relationship-building with Congressional staff and legislators is the foundation of advocacy. Organize a group of advocates from your university chapter to represent your university in a new Congress meeting in the Spring semester. Remember, even if students are not constituents of the office, they can still represent the local university.
- To begin preparing, check out the following:
REMINDERS AND NEXT STEPS:
- Check back next month for a new Monthly Action Guide!
- Ensure your CRS University Chapter is on our CRS email list by having everyone sign up here.
- Ensure your CRS University Chapter is receiving our text message updates by texting “University” to 306-44.