April 2020 Action Guide
April 2020: Easter, Earth Day, and COVID-19
On Sunday, April 12th our journey from Ashes to Easter reaches its destination and our destiny - Jesus is risen! He is risen indeed! It's a promise about our future but also for this present moment. We are God's beloved and forgiven children and God is using us to change the world. There is no virus so strong, no evironmental threat so great, no Good Friday so dark that has, can, or will ever change that. In the words of Christian mystic Julian of Norwich, "All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well."
COVID-19 Updates & Resources
As COVID-19 continues, we are dealing with unprecedented changes affecting our daily routines, campuses and lives. We are also acutely aware that some are more vulnerable than others, and that our local and global communities must continue to come together as one human family to share our resources, time and hope with one another.
Catholic Relief Services continues to work around the clock in the most vulnerable places where communities lack infrastructure to handle a health care crisis. As we ramp up our global response, we are also taking every precaution to ensure the safety and well-being of our staff, partners, beneficiaries and supporters. We have severely restricted travel and instituted teleworking for CRS staff. Visit our media center for more information.
Here are some key resources related to COVID-19 for you and your campus communities:
- Recording of Video Call with Sean Callahan, CRS CEO & President (4/2/20)
- Sean Callahan: Covid-19 Message (subtítulos en español) (3/20/20)
- CRS Kenya Video with Moses Orimba sharing COVID-19 Response
- CRS COVID-19 Emergency Fact Sheet
- CRS Rice Bowl Online Resources and Collection Information during COVID-19
- Photos from CRS COVID-19 response around the world
If you are still finding ways to connect digitally as CRS Student Ambassadors on your campus or if you're looking for ways to stay involved individually, we hope the following resources are useful to you.
- Welcome any new ambassadors & introduce yourselves to one another.
- Suggested Icebreaker/Question of the Month:
- How has God used you to make a positive change? In someone's life? In caring for creation?
- How has God used someone else to help you?
Catholic Social Teaching: Care for Creation
- How is caring for creation connected to our faith as Christians?
- The Christian mystics say that, "Attention is the prayer of the soul." How might we practice this way of praying for creation?
- What do you consider to be the greatest threats to the environment?
- What are you doing to care for creation? What could we do together?
CRS on the Ground
- Read about Global Hunger & Climate Change for Earth Day:
This Month's Leadership, Advocacy and/or Giving Action(s):
- Please submit your Spring 2020 Student Ambassador Activities Report, which is due on May 7.
- CRS SALT Summit: Out of an abundance of caution and to ensure the safety and health of our CRS partners and staff in the US and around the world, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the CRS SALT Summit until July 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While we will not be holding an in-person CRS SALT Summit 2020, we are currently exploring virtual opportunities that will be offered during the originally scheduled week of July 20, 2020. Stay tuned.
- View more information here
- Save the Date: CRS SALT Summit 2021: July 25-28, 2021
- COVID-19-FRIENDLY DIGITAL ADVOCACY:
- We are currently working on exciting, new, bipartisan legislation called the Global Child Thrive Act as part of our I am Global Hunger and I am Migration campaigns. The Global Child Thrive Act would direct the administration to integrate Early Childhood Development strategies and activities into U.S. international programs focused on children to help them better grow, develop and thrive!
- Review the Global Child Thrive Act Backgrounder & Talking Points
- Send an advocacy letter to your members of Congress as an individual or organize a virtual letter-sending party, using one of the following methods. Be sure to personalize your letters for more impact.
- Write a Letter to the Editor on the Global Child Thrive Act using this how-to guide. [en español]
- Use Social Media to reach your members of Congress using this how-to guide. [en español]
- More Notes on the Global Child Thrive Act
- This bill was introduced October 28, 2019 in the House as H.R. 4864 by Reps. Castro (D-TX) and Fitzpatrick (R-PA) and in the Senate as S. 2715 by Sens. Blunt (R-MO) and Coons (D-DE).
- COVID-19-FRIENDLY DIGITAL GIVING:
- CRS Rice Bowl 2020 is a great way to be intentional about prayer, fasting and almsgiving during the Lenten season which continues through early April. These resources can still be used flexibly and virtually during the COVID-19 outbreak. Find specific information on online resources and collection of funds here.
Plan Next Month's Leadership, Advocacy and/or Giving Action(s):
- Summer Hire/Intern Program
- Specific positions for Summer 2020 are posted on a rolling basis during Spring 2020. Find open positions by going to the CRS Careers Page then clicking on "Explore Current Career Opportunities" and typing "summer hire" into the search box.
- One key summer hire/intern opportunity for current or alumni CRS Student Ambassadors that will support CRS university work:
- University and Diversity Engagement Summer Hire: supporting overall CRS work with college and university partners, including CRS SALT Summit 2020, Fall Regional Trainings, leadership and campaign resources, and more.
- Summer Hire/Intern Program
Reminders and Next Steps:
- Visit our "Current Ambassadors" webpage for previous and future Monthly Action Guides and other resources.
- Remember: you can always text "I am Migration" or "I am Global Hunger" to 306-44 for an easy way to advocate to Congress right from your phone on the Global Child Thrive Act!
- Follow @CRSUniversity on Instagram, and tag us when you post your campus events and initiatives so we can share your efforts more widely!