Share the Journey with Migrants and Refugees with your HANDS & FEET
Over the holidays, we hope you get a much-needed break from using your BRAIN as you relax between semesters.
But, we hope you don't give your HANDS and FEET too much of a rest.
Instead, use them to Share the Journey with refugees and migrants.
Use your hands to sign an advocacy letter to Congress, urging them to do two things:
- Support DACA youth by passing the Dream Act (H.R. 3440/ S. 1615).
- Fund poverty-reducing international assistance in the international affairs budget, which supports families fleeing violence and helps to address the root causes of migration.
Use your feet to take a "shoe selfie" (aka "shoefie") of your own journey during the holidays:
- Take a photo of your feet, with or without shoes, as creative, trendy or simple as you want, somewhere that represents your own journeying during Advent, Christmas, or into the New Year.
- Post to Instagram with #ShareJourney and #IamMigration to show your support for the international campaign led by Pope Francis to care for refugees and migrants.
Finally, here are some key dates, which you may want to consider:
- December 3-24: Advent [a time to honor journeys, particularly the journey of the Holy Family]
- December 12: Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe: Day of Prayer for Migrants and Refugees
- December 18: International Migrants Day
- December 25: Christmas
- January 1: World Day of Peace [this year, Pope Francis's World Day of Peace message is called "Migrants and Refugees: Men and Women in Search of Peace"]
- January 7-13: US Catholic Church's National Migration Week
- January 14: World Day of Migrants and Refugees