The Root Causes of Food Insecurity
- CRS’ Approach to Food Security (video, 7:23), by David Leege, CRS Director of University Engagement and Research for Overseas Operations.This video provides a concise introduction to CRS’ integrated approach to food security and the USAID definition of food security (mainly, food availability, access, and utilization).
- The World Food Program: Learn More About Hunger site provides brief, substantive introductions to thier mission of Zero Hunger and other key themes. What causes hunger? 10 Hunger Facts for 2014. Also view the Hunger Map.
- In Burkina Faso: Program FASO: An Innovative Approach to Building Sustainable Household Resilience Through Integrated Health, Agriculture, and Capacity Strengthening, by CRS, 4 pages. available here. To draw out elements related to women’s agency, see also West African Resilience: How women are key to long-term stability in the Sahel, The Catholic Sun, January 2013
- Facts on Hunger and Poverty in the United States and Facts on International Hunger and Poverty, Bread for the World (2 pages).
- CRS joins in praise for Global Food Security Act, Press Release July 6, 2016. Accessing the link will also direct readers to letters written by (1) CRS and 44 other aid organizations and (2) United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) and CRS and testimony to members of Congress CRS President by Carolyn Woo
Food Security – A right or a privilege?
- Talking Points on Securing the Human Right to Food Within and Across Borders, by Barrett Brenton and Ellen Messer, a Policy Report for the Holy See at the United Nations (A/HRC/22/50), prepared in conjunction with the UN Human Rights Council, August 2013
- Where Will We Find Enough Food for 9 Billion? By Jonathan Foley, National Geographic, 2014