CRS Honors World Day of Peace
2017 WORLD DAY OF PEACE
Each year on January 1, the global Catholic Church honors World Day of Peace. Read this year's World Day of Peace message from Pope Francis.
At the heart of the social mission of the Catholic Church is a call to work for justice and peace. Cultivating just and peaceful societies is part of our mission statement and an essential component of integral human development. We believe personal wellbeing can only be achieved in the context of just and peaceful relationships. In 2015, CRS invested $31.4 million in 76 justice and peacebuilding projects in 33 countries.
- This year, in partnership with the Kroc Institute at the University of Notre Dame and the Catholic Peacebuilding Network, we developed 5 distinct academic modules on Peacebuilding, which are free and open to all:
Praying and acting for peace is tied to so many other global issues. In the world today, for example, we see more refugees than ever fleeing conflict and violence. As we pray to build peace, we also pray in solidarity with the suffering of so many around the globe.
- Host an "I am Migration" Solidarity Vigil or use prayers and reflections from it for other contexts.
- General Intercessions for Peace in Iraq
- General Intercessions for Peace in Syria
- Light a Virtual Votive for peace
As Pope Francis says, we can all be "artisans of peace." Our role in building peace often means taking advantage of opportunities to unite our voices with others calling for concrete change. In this case, we can ask our governemnt to do all in its power to help meet the immediate and long-term needs of people around the world. Here are some current issues through which you can call for the creation of a better and more peaceful world:
- Ask Congress to meet the immediate needs of refugees and to end the violence and conflict that forces people to flee > Sign an "I am Migration" Advocacy Letter.
- Ask Congress to address supply chain transparency and forced labor, thus bringing peace into communities where human trafficking is currently allowed to exist > Sign an "I am Human Trafficking" Advocacy Letter.
- Ask Congress to address climate change. As we know, the changing climate is increasingly a root cause of conflict, violence, migration and vulnerability > Sign an "I am Climate Change" Advocacy Letter.
Here are some opportunities to make a donation that will contribute concretely to the work of peacebuilding through CRS: